Life in Reporoa in the 1920’s was very different from our lives today. New settlers arriving in the valley discovered a land covered with flax, swamp and scrub. Transport was by stage coach. No-one had telephones or electric power, and the manual input to every task undertaken was enormous.
It was in this setting that new settlers began the farming process that turned Reporoa into the prosperous farming community it is today.
Reporoa Primary School was founded In 1923 by the Reporoa farming community. The school was a single classroom where 17 students of mixed age received an education by one teacher who travelled to and from school by horseback.
This was very different from the modern, well equipped 110 pupil, 5 classroom, non-teaching principal, plus 6 ancillary staff school that we have today.